Saturday, December 1, 2012

2012 Review (Part 4)

        Back on January 1st  of this year, I made and posted a list of dreams for 2012.   I reviewed that list in Marchin June, and once again in September.   Throughout the year, I occasionally referred to that list and, dare I say it?  I used it as a guide for some of what I did in 2012.  I plan to make another such list on January 1st of 2013 but I want the new list to be fresh and not tainted by a recent review.  To finish off 2012, I will note three things that I can still focus on for the remaining 31 days of the year and I will pat myself on the back for taking three other steps in the direction I wanted to go way back last January.

       Ugh.  I started this post with such enthusiasm but then, when I took a close look at the list, all I saw was a clear portrait of failure.  I haven't been taking Ellie for afternoon walks.  I can barely get myself home from work, let alone go out on a neighborhood walk!  I have not spent three minutes a day stretching (though I do spend 15 minutes or so three times a week stretching).  I did not go to Ohio, nor Alaska, nor on a solitary road trip, nor regularly to the Farmer's Market here in town.  I didn't test drive the new VW Beetle (but I am quite satisfied with my little Oskar beetle so that is okay) nor have I had much fun with getting dressed in the morning.  I find myself just wearing the same old stuff because it's fast and easy.  But, lest I be too mean to myself, all of these things that I didn't do?  It's okay with me.  There were reasons they didn't happen and no one died as a result of me not doing any of them so it's okay.  Let's see if they show back up on the 2013 list.

         There WERE a few things that I did manage to do.  I DID get a snail mail birthday card in the mail to all my siblings (except Noel but that's only because his birthday is yet to come.  I will get that one in the mail, I know).  I DID take lots of photos and even posted some of them to this blog.  I do like doing that and I imagine something involving photography might show up on the 2013 list.  For sure, I paid attention to what the beautiful Ms Meg had to say.  That young woman is a bright light in my life and often brings me away from the serious side and into the playful side of life.  I will also give myself points for not being so paralyzed by the notion of change.  My curiosity seems to be overwhelming the fear of change and I kinda like that.

     
         I'm glad I thought to review my to do list for 2012 this morning.  I am looking forward to seeing what gets thrown down for 2013.  I imagine some of the same kinds of things will find their way onto the list but I also am confidant that there will be some surprises too.  I'll let you know on January 1, 2013.














11 comments:

  1. I like your list and the progress updates you posted during the year.
    It is inspiring enough for me to want to try one for myself this year.
    One of the things that I don't believe was on your list was hanging from a 175 foot fire ladder extension. That was 2012 noteworthy for sure. I will not be following you up there on that one, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I will likely not do that again. When the business manager found out that I had done that (especially sans cable or clips) she was mortified. The potential insurance mess was killing her! But it was a good thing for me to do ONCE.
      It was kinda fun to create the original list - going for fifty things seems hard but not if you don't take it too serioulsy.

      Delete
  2. Love your positive outlook on the items on your list and the way you've put all the emphasis on the things you DID DO. Way to go! Can't wait to see what on next years list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, I can't wait either. It will be fascinating for me to see what emerges.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you did really well, you should congratulate yourself for the things you did do. About 6 years ago I made a vow to learn something new each year; a language, a musical instrument, etc. I only managed two new things in the last 6 years. Ooops! Time for a new list I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so 1/3 of the time you did it! and learning an insturmet or a language? That's huge! I would have been satisfied with, say, learning how to cook something. period.

      Delete
  4. The birthday card you sent to me was one of the highlights of my year. LIkewise your open invitation for L & I to stay in your cottage at different intervals during these upcoming winter months. And we had such a fun time at the get-together you and Mike hosted in September. You're such a generous and caring person JT! I so appreciate your energy and presence in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm glad you liked the card. I had fun actually sending out the cards to you all this year - old fashioned connection. And Michael and I are looking forward to having you guys stay in the cottage this winter. We think you will enjoy hanigng out in our little town.

      Delete
  5. No lists of things to do for me. However, I love the picture of Ellie! What a cutie. I also love all of the pics you post. So keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always THINK about making lists. Maybe 2013 will be the year I actually MAKE one. Glad you made peace and progress with your 2012 list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lists are fun and useful only if they ARE fun and useful. They can also be a major drag!

      Delete