Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Faking It

Fake it until you make it. Agree or disagree?
Attitude is everything.  If the attitude I am carrying that day is not positive, cheerful, open then maybe I do have to fake the attitude until it becomes genuine.  It does take a ton of energy to fake something but it can pay off.  I learned while waitressing years ago that tips were good when I was cheerful and friendly.  And, just as  importantly, work was more fun when I was cheerful and friendly.  I would come in for the evening shift cranky or annoyed about something and know that I could not approach tables like that.  So I would paste that smile on and get out there and, before the first hour of my shift was up, the smile had become genuine, my evening was improving, and the tips were good.  Lesson learned?  Put the smile on, suck it up, and get out there and hustle.  Hmmmm... is that pretending to be something you are not?  What about
faking friendship or romantic interest until it is genuine? That I don't think you can really do.  You might THINK you are faking it, but truth is bigger than the act.  Or maybe the act WAS the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment