Saturday, December 26, 2009

Embracing the Unexpected

I stumbled across a quote today that knocked me over:  "Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected" (Carl Sandburg).   That could be the title of my next book.  When I was way younger (college age) I didn't plan things.  I just did things.  I went to classes, I worked at whatever waitressing or retail job I could get, I loved and lost boyfriends, I took advantage of whatever adventure came my way.  I distinctly remember wanting not to collect things but rather wanting to collect experiences.  And collect experiences I did.
and then I got real about life .... that means a job, a husband, two kids and a house in the suburbs ...
and life became so very predictable, very planned.  No surprises expected and very few received.
and I got more and more serious and the brow got more and more furrowed.
Something happened though.
Now I hope for and plan for surprises!
How do you plan for surprises?  You plan for surprises by staying out of ruts, being willing to try new things, and talking to strangers!  more later....

No comments:

Post a Comment