Saturday, November 7, 2009

Scars Happen

I just peeled off the last steri strip from the four inch long incision on my right hip.  This incision allowed the orthopedic surgeon to take bone from the hip and use that to reconstruct my right clavicle.  The incision is healing well but I was actually surprised at how insignificant the scar seemed - just a very straight pink line.  My clavicle scar is still secured with steri strips and that is a bit more scary.  About 4 to 5 inches, it is not neat and straight.  At the moment, it is still shades of red and brown and very Frankensteinish.  These are my two "real" physical scars because I have been remarkably lucky.  Except for a few little dings from childhood, my body has seen very little trauma.  That really is the story of my life.  I have been remarkably lucky. Strong beginnings in life segued into responsible choices for post high school.  Bumpy relationships with men set the stage for a strong marriage that has supported me in many ways.  Family and friends have been my refuge and brought much laughter and love into my life. I have work that is rewarding and enough financial resources to go out to dinner occasionally or take a 6 day vacation in NYC from time to time.  Just a word of warning:  I'm not looking to break the lucky streak but I do have the scars to prove that stuff happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment