1) Let me tell you something. There's this younger person I used to know. She ran daily, seldom felt physical pain, had big plans, smooth skin, and was always in a hurry to get places. I miss that younger person. I am also discovering that there is room on the bench of life for the older person I know now AND the younger person I used to know. They can sit on the bench together and chat. I think they'd like each other.
gift to each child on summer mornings). I have always been a person who moves fast, thinks fast, reacts fast, and, yes, sometimes lives to regret the friendship with fast. I am learning to get acquainted with speed's sister go slow. She's an interesting character and one that I have always viewed with some disdain. She's not so productive and sometimes I used to think she just wasn't smart at all. Now that I am willing to talk to her, I am finding that she actually has some serious wisdom. Not only that but she isn't too hoity toity to share that wisdom. She is pretty darn self confident as well and doesn't' really give a hoot if I like or dislike her. So I am the one who has to approach her and be willing to listen.
3) Prizes in Cracker Jack boxes are not as good as they used to be. Or have my expectations changed?
4) I am learning that western medicine is driven by money. Why did it take me so long to learn this? Mostly, I suppose, because I was given the gift of good health for most of my life. Until fairly recently, my encounters with the health care profession and with all things pharmaceutical were good to mediocre but that has changed. No need to get into detail here but there might be a post down the road on that. For now, it is enough to know that I am learning that the bottom line for health care in this country is money.
5) I don't have to DO anything about feelings. Just because they exist does not mean I have to fix something. I can notice the feelings and make room for them. I can consider them visitors in my house, in my self. I can invite them to have a cup of tea with me. I can just listen to them. Maybe I can tell them something. I always assume feelings are commanding me to do something but maybe they just want to say hi. Maybe they just want to see if I am still alive. Maybe they just want to be heard. Maybe they want to be seen. They are not the boss of me. I get to be the boss. I don't have to shove them out the door but I sure as heck don't HAVE to do something about them. That goes back to slow down a bit. I don't have to spring into action when feelings visit.
6) Eventually, winter's coldness and darkness will be history. For awhile anyway.
7) If you wait long enough, something will happen.